I decided to take on the challenge of putting together a decent quality audio recording system for as little money of possible, preferably, spending under $100. With this challenge in mind, it was time to go shopping.
A tried and true audio recorder is the Zoom H1. The H1 has been a staple of wedding videographers for years due to its reliability and audio quality.
Zoom H1 Features
- Lightweight and ultra-compact
- Built-in 90˚ X/Y stereo microphone
- Records directly to microSD and microSDHC cards up to 32GB
- Supports up to 24-bit/96kHz WAV audio, as well as a variety of MP3 formats
- Stereo Mic/Line Input jack with Plug-in power
- Monitoring speaker and stereo Phones/Line Output jack with dedicated volume control
- Requires just a single AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable battery, with up to 10 hours of battery life
I saw a local ad on Facebook and ended up getting the H1 for only $30! Considering the cost is normally around $115, this was an absolute steal.
While the Zoom H1 has built-in microphones, you always want to get the microphone as close to the person speaking as possible, so using a lavalier microphone with the H1 is an ideal combination. A really good quality mic is the Purple Panda. At only $29.99 on Amazon, the Purple Panda is excellent for the price.