Today, Blackmagic Design has announced an updated version of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, now supporting 6k video. While going from 4k to 6k is a nice improvement, the larger sensor size does mean that the lens mount needed to change as MFT lenses are just not big enough. So, to go along with the new sensor size, the Pocket Cinema 6K now sports an EF mount, giving you access to a broad range of different lens options.
Resolutions and Frame Rates
Of course, we would also want more, but the Pocket Cinema 4K has a pretty decent assortment of resolutions and frame rates:
- 6144 x 3456 (6K) up to 50 fps
- 6144 x 2560 (6K 2.4:1) up to 60 fps
- 5744 x 3024 (5.7K 17:9) up to 60 fps
- 4096 x 2160 (4K DCI) up to 60 fps
- 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD) up to 60 fps
- 3728 x 3104 (3.7K 6:5 anamorphic) up to 60 fps
- 2868 x 1512 (2.8K 17:9) up to 120 fps
- 1920 x 1080 (HD) up to 120 fps
Aside from the resolution, no other features were added to the Pocket Cinema 4K, so everything else is identical to the Pocket Cinema 4k.
Prepare for a big hit on storage requirements when moving from 4K to 6K, this is a LOT more data to work with.
|24fps||152 mins||305 mins||610 mins|
|60fps||60 mins||120 mins||240 mins|
|24fps||65 mins||130 mins||260 mins|
|60fps||30 mins||60 mins||120 mins|
Pricing and Availability
The Pocket Cinema 6K is priced at $2,495 and should be available at most major retailers within a week.